Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Too Fat to Fly

Kevin Smith's debacle with Southwest Airlines doesn't involve comic books directly, but in this context Smith's well established love of and contributions to the comics industry beg the question, "Are all fanboys just fat, embittered slobs?" The Simpsons have succeeded in painting that picture for a mainstream audience with Comic Book Guy, but is it true? My average build proves otherwise . . . but when I look at my ever expanding collection, my obsessive need to visit the Target toy aisle every time I'm running errands, heck, this blog and its pining for at least a comic a day -- I see I'm gluttonous in other ways. I'm cool with that, because, like the brilliant Kevin Smith, I'm comfortable in my own skin. I'll squeeze into my place in this world when I have to. We geeks are so grounded, we're all too fat to fly.

No comments: