Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Tick: Incedible Internet Comic #1

The Tick: Incedible Internet Comic #1, July 2001, New England Comic Press
writer/artist: Gabe Crate

I wish I had the wherewithal to read this issue last night, following my review of Son of Ambish Bug to create a two-parter about comedic comics featuring grown men dressed as insects. Unfortunately, my fatigue has overwhelmed my sense of ironic consistency, so I’m bottom-lining this one: fans most familiar with the Tick from his beloved cartoon series would enjoy this book. The Tick is one moment goofy, the next moment deadly serious – well, serious in his inherent goofiness – all the while fighting crime and maintaining the sanctity of his partnership with his best friend Arthur. I may not be able to place the Tick in his rightful succession in the A Comic A Day chronicles, but the Tick has always known and embraced his place in the world. If we could all be so lucky.

No comments: